The original Byzantine church, with frescoes on part of the eastern wall dating from the late 14th century, was repaired in the post-Byzantine period. The repairs mainly concerned the south and west walls, where it was extended. Extensive decoration was carried out on the church in the 19th century. The main nave was frescoed and the iconostasis was over-painted.The decoration was undertaken by the painter Machairas. The painting that survived on the eastern wall from the Byzantine era was partially destroyed by the over-painting done by the painter Machairas in 1897.
The niche of the sanctuary depicts Panagia Platytera of Heaven, the Metamorphosis-Metastasis and the participating hierarchs Basil the Great and John Chrysostom. The eastern wall is completed by the representation of the Annunciation. The timbering of the roof has been renewed with a 19th century intervention. Some old timbers have been preserved, but they have been placed in different positions.