The foundation of the monument dates back to Byzantine times, at the end of the 12th century. It is a timber-roofed, single-room basilica, which from the first period of construction has preserved only a part of the eastern wall. There are also frescoes which date back to around 1230 AD. At the beginning of the 17th century the church was rebuilt, extended and redecorated.
According to the inscription at the entrance to the monument, this work was carried out in 1609. When the dimensions of the monument grew in the 17th century towards the north and west sides, the construction philosophy of the roof changed. The relationships between the woods reveal miscalculations by the masons. Most of the timbers come from the 17th century reconstruction, as do those which, for inexplicable reasons, were removed from the canopy of the exterior frescoes on the south side.